Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sibling Love and Sibling Rivalry

When I was younger, when my sisters and I fought, my parents would punish us by telling us that we had to pretend we no longer had sisters.  We had to function as if they didn't exist, we couldn't talk to them, play with them, or even acknolwedge their presence.  At the time, I thought it was the weirdest thing, but of course, whenever that happened, I immediately needed to tell my sister something or ask her a question, but of course, if I got caught talking to her, I would get in more trouble.

Well....like most things in life, I completely get the rationale of the punishment now that I am a mother.  If I could do that for a 4 and 2 year old and have them really understand the punishment, I would do it!  But unfortunately, I don't think they would be able to understand. 

When Molly was born, I remember thinking that Brody really wanted nothing to do with Molly...never acknowledged her, never seemed to like her, and I remember being worried that they were not going to be close to each other.  My how I was wrong.  They are literally two peas in a pod.  I actually joke with people saying it is almost like I have twins.  What one does, the other has to do the exact thing.  What one eats, the other has to have the same thing.  What one plays with, the other of course wants to play with it at the exact same time even when it was sitting there for days without either one playing with it.  It is funny to think how wrong I was.

The first thing Molly says when she gets up in the morning is "Where is Brody?"  When they go to bed at night, Molly can't lay down until she gives Brody a kiss and a hug.  It really is pretty sweet!  I am so glad to see how close they are and I do hope it continues as they grow up.  Of course, they do have their moments where one is screaming at the other...or tattling "Mommy.....Brody hit me" or "Mommy....Molly won't give me that!"  But I would say 98% of the time, they are inspeparable!

Right now, as I type this, we are hanging out in the living room and watching Scooby-Doo because it is raining outside.  Where are my children?  Right here....(sorry the picture is so grainy)


That is Molly on the left, twisting her neck so she can see the TV, and Brody on the right.  They are covered up with the blanket.  What is funny is that if Brody got up right now to go to the playroom, Molly would follow right after him....but right now, they are both content just chillin and watching TV. 

This was them yesterday.  So cute!


So on another note, Ted is having to work nights for the next week.  He started on Thursday night...and I have to say I am not a fan.  He works from 10 pm to 6 am and even has to do it over the weekend.  Luckily, his last night is Tuesday.  I could not do this for the long haul.  I, nor the kids, would never see him.  He comes home in the morning and sleeps all day.  Then he gets up around 6:00 or 7:00, eats some dinner (or for him, breakfast) and then takes a shower and heads to work.  Like I said, luckily it is short term. 

Next weekend is our anniversary and I will leave you with this note.....I am going camping.  Yes, that is not a mistake....I typed camping.  I still can not believe that I agreed to go, but my neighbor finally broke me down and I agreed to try it.  The only good thing is that we are not going to be in a tent.....we rented a yurt.  When I originally googled a yurt, I have to say I found things that scared me.  But when I found out what the yurt looked like at the place we are going, it wasn't sooooo bad.  Here is a picture of the outside and inside......not horrible, I guess!



The one good thing is that we are going with just Ethan.....my parents are going to watch the little ones.  It will be nice to spend some time with just Ethan and I think he is really looking forward to going.  My neighbors have a boat and we are going to spend a lot of time on the lake.  I am trying to be open-minded about this whole thing and am happy that I will have a day or 2 off of work.....much needed that's for sure.

Anyway, I am off to do some laundry while the kids are still laying here nicely watching Scooby Doo!



No comments: